Department of Computer Science and Engineering,
School of Engineering
Email Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PhD in Computer Science (2003) – National University of Singapore
- MBA (2012) – University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA
- B.Tech (Hons.) in Computer Science & Engg. (1998) – IIT Kharagpur, India
- Dec 2012 – Jan 2016: Senior Research Scientist at Xerox Research Center India
- Aug 2009 – Dec 2012: Associate Professor at IIIT Delhi, India
- August 2002 – July 2009: Research Associate at the University of Tokyo, Japan
Large-scale data management in distributed systems
Data Indexing and spatial databases
Mobile and P2P data management
IoT (Internet of Things)
Data management for financial services
- Nilesh Padhariya, Anirban Mondal and Sanjay Kumar Madria “Top-k Query Processing in Mobile-P2P Networks using Economic Incentive Schemes.” Peer-to-Peer Networking and Applications (PPNA), 8(5), pages 1-21, 2015
- Nilesh Padhariya, Anirban Mondal, Sanjay Kumar Madria and Masaru Kitsuregawa “Economic incentive-based brokerage schemes for improving data availability in mobile-P2P networks.” Computer Communications 36(8), pages 861-874, 2013
- Anirban Mondal, Sanjay Kumar Madria and Masaru Kitsuregawa “E-ARL: An Economic incentive scheme for Adaptive Revenue-Load-based dynamic replication of data in Mobile-P2P networks.” International Journal on Distributed and Parallel Databases (DAPD) 28(1), pages 1-31, 2010
- Anirban Mondal, Sanjay Kumar Madria and Masaru Kitsuregawa “An Economic Incentive Model for encouraging Peer Collaboration in Mobile-P2P networks with support for constraint queries.” International Journal of Peer-to-Peer Networking and Applications (PPNA) 2(3), pages 230-251, 2009
- Dongxiang Zhang, Yeow Meng Chee, Anirban Mondal, Anthony Tung and Masaru Kitsuregawa “Keyword search in spatial databases: Towards searching by document.” Proceedings of the International Conference on Data Engineering – ICDE 2009
- Anirban Mondal, Yi Lifu and Masaru Kitsuregawa "P2PR-Tree: An R-Tree-Based Spatial Index for Peer-to-Peer Environments." Proceedings of the International Workshop on P2P and Databases (EDBT Workshop) – P2PDB 2004
- Mong Li Lee, Masaru Kitsuregawa, Beng Chin Ooi, Kian Lee Tan and Anirban Mondal "Towards Self-Tuning Data Placement in Parallel Database Systems." Proceedings of the International Conference on Management of Data – ACM SIGMOD 2000
- Anirban Mondal, Masaru Kitsuregawa, Beng Chin Ooi and Kian Lee Tan, "R-tree-based Data Migration and Self-Tuning Strategies in Shared-Nothing Spatial Databases." Proceedings of ACM International Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems – ACM GIS 2001
National and International Recognition:
- Fellow of the prestigious Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS) from September 2003 to September 2005. Research Grant amount was 2.4 million yen
- ACM India Eminent Speaker
- Adjunct Faculty at IIIT Delhi
- Affiliate Faculty at IIIT Hyderabad
- Invited for a video-recorded interview for the online magazine IEEE Computing Now October (2015) Special issue on mobile analytics. This interview is part of a series of interviews of industry experts with mobile analytics insights.
- Awarded a project by the Department of Science & Technology (DST), India under the prestigious
Fast Track Scheme for Young Scientists of India
- Gave keynotes at HADIS 2005, PDMST 2006, PDMST 2007 and EDM 2008
- Gave invited talks at COMAD 2005b and BDA 2013
- Gave tutorials at MDM 2008, SRDS 2010, MDM 2012 and MDM 2014
- National University of Singapore Research Scholarship from January 1999 to August 2002.
- Served as a panelist at BDA 2014 conference
- Invitation to participate at the prestigious Dagstuhl seminar on “Scalable Data Management in Evolving Networks” in October 2006. (In Dagstuhl seminars, attendance and participation is on an invitation-only basis.)
Dr. Anirban Mondal is an Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, School of Engineering (SoE) at SNU.
Dr. Mondal brings with him corporate, teaching as well as a significant research experience. . His work experience includes 7 years as a Research Associate at the University of Tokyo (Japan), 3+ years as an Associate Professor at the Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology Delhi (IIIT Delhi, India), and 3 years as a Senior Research Scientist at Xerox Research Center India. Dr. Mondal is also an Affiliate Faculty at IIIT Hyderabad. He has a Ph.D. in Computer Science from the National University of Singapore, an MBA from the University of Massachusetts Amherst (UMass) and a B.Tech. (Hons.) in in Computer Science & Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur.
He has an established reputation, key presence and high visibility in the international research community and contributes pro-actively to local research communities. He has research collaborations with prestigious Universities in Japan, Singapore, USA, Australia and India. He has also been a Fellow of the prestigious Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS).
Dr. Mondal’s broad research interest is in Computer Science with specific focus on mobile and ubiquitous data management, Big Data, IoT, distributed databases and large-scale data management in distributed systems. His research interests include spatial databases, data indexing, load-balancing, mobile data management, P2P data management, incentive-based crowdsourcing and document solutions for the financial domain. He has numerous publications in key conferences/journals such as SIGMOD, ICDE, DAPD Journal, PPNA Journal, MDM, DASFAA, DEXA and ACM GIS. He has filed 11 patents with the USPTO. He has also been actively involved as a PC Chair/Co-chair, PC member, journal reviewer (IEEE TKDE, VLDB Journal, DAPD Journal), as well as keynote/tutorial speaker at reputed international conferences/workshops and an ACM India Eminent Speaker.