Department of Chemistry,
School of Natural Sciences
Email Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
D.Phil. (Organic Chemistry), University of Oxford, Oxford, UK, 2006
Science Entrepreneurship, SAID Business School, University of Oxford, UK, 2005
M. Tech. (Polymer Science and Technology), IIT, Delhi, India, 2000
M. Sc. (Chemistry), IIT Delhi, India, 1999
B. Sc. (Hons.) (Chemistry), University of Delhi, India, 1997
Assistant Professor: Shiv Nadar University (present)
Assistant Professor: University of Delhi, India
Project Investigator (Young Scientist Award), IIT, Delhi, India
Guest Faculty, IIT, Delhi, India
Assistant Manager, Seigwerk, India
Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of Nottingham, UK
Retained Lecturer, Wadham College, University of Oxford, UK
Tutorial Fellow, Brasenose and University College, University of Oxford, UK
Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of Oxford, UK
Laboratory Demonstrator, Dysson Perrins Laboratory, University of Oxford, UK
Research Assistant, IIT, Delhi, India
Synthetic organic chemistry / Green Chemistry: Dendritic architectures and polymers for electro-optic applications such as photovoltaic cells, OLEDs and composites
Nano-chemistry: Graphene, Carbon nanotubes and Fullerene functionalisation
Nanoparticles for nanocomposite applications
- S. Shukla, A. Ghosh, S. Mitra, B. Lochab, Inverse vulcanization polymer composites via sustainable route for Li-S battery, International Conference on Advances of Energy Research, ICAER 2015, IIT Bombay.
- P. Sharma, B. Lochab, D. Kumar, P. K. Roy, Sustainable bis-benzoxazines from cardanol and PET derived terephthalamides, ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng.,
2015, DOI: 10.1021/acssuschemeng.5b01153.
- S. Shukla, A. Mahata, B. Pathak, B. Lochab, Cardanol benzoxazines – interplay of oxazine functionality (mono to tetra) and properties, RSC Adv.,
2015, 5, 78071–78080
- P. Sharma, B. Lochab, D. Kumar, P. K. Roy, Interfacial encapsulation of biobased benzoxazines in epoxy shells for temperature triggered healing, J. Appl. Polym. Sci.
2015, DOI: 10.1002/APP.42832.
- P. Sharma, S. Shukla, B. Lochab, D. Kumar, P. K. Roy, Microencapsulated cardanol derived benzoxazines for self-healing applications, Mater. Lett.,
2014, 133, 266-268.
- B. Lochab, S. Shukla, I. K. Varma, Naturally occurring phenolic sources: Monomers and Polymers, RSC Adv.,
2014, 4, 21712-21752.
- B. Lochab, I. K. Varma, J. Bijwe, Blends of benzoxazine monomers: Effect of structure and composition on polymer properties, J. Therm. Anal. and Calorimetry,
2013, 111, 1357-1364.
- B. Lochab, I. K. Varma, J. Bijwe, Sustainable polymers derived from naturally occurring materials, Adv. Mater. Phys. Chem., Vol. 2 No. 4B,
2012, pp. 221-225. doi: 10.4236/ampc.2012.24B056.
- B. Lochab, I. K. Varma, J. Bijwe, Cardanol based Bisbenzoxazines: Effect of Structure on Thermal Behaviour, J. Therm. Anal. and Calorimetry,
2012, 107, 661-668.
- B. Lochab, I. K. Varma, J. Bijwe, Thermal behaviour of cardanol-based benzoxazines: Monomers and polymers, J. Therm. Anal. and Calorimetry,
2010, 102, 769-74.
- A. –C. Albertsson, I. K. Varma, B. Lochab, A. F. Wistrand, K. Kumar; Design and Synthesis of Different Types of Poly(Lactic Acid), In “Poly(lactic acid): Synthesis, Properties, Processing and Applications” ,
2010, Eds. Rafael A. Auras, Loong-Tak Lim, Susan E. M. Selke, and Hideto Tsuji, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2010, Chapter 4, pp. 43-55.
- B. Lochab, I. K. Varma, J. Bijwe, “High Performance, High Tempe rature Polymers - Recent Developments”, Indian Chemical Engineer,
2009, 51, 98.
- E. A. Thomsen, D. J. Keeble, B. Lochab, P. L. Burn, H. El-Mkami, and I. D. W. Samuel, Photoinduced charge separation in poly(1,4-phenylenevinylene) derivatives studied by electron paramagnetic resonance, Org. Electron.,
2008, 9(5), 809.
- B. Lochab, P. L. Burn, A. Barkhouse, H. E. Assender, D. J. Keeble, E. A. Thomsen, A. Lewis, and I. D. W. Samuel, Electronically asymmetric poly(1,4-phenylenevinylene)s for photovoltaic cells Org. Electron.,
2007, 8, 801.
- I. K. Varma , V. Choudhary, B. Gaur, B. Lochab, S. Oberoi, R. Chauhan, Curing and thermal behavior of poly(allyl azide) and bismaleimides, J. Appl. Polym. Sci.,
2006, 101(1), 779 – 86.
- Singh S., Gaur B., Lochab B., Choudhary V. and Varma I. K., “High Energy Materials: Emerging Trends”, Proceedings of the 4 th International High Energy Materials Conference & Exhibit, HEMCE-2003, Ed. by Dr. S. N. Asthana, 18th-20th Nov
- B. Gaur, B. Lochab, V. Choudhary, I. K. Varma, Azido Polymers: Energetic Binders for Solid Rocket Propellants, J. Macromol. Sci., Polym. Reviews,
2003, C43(4), 505-45.
- B. Gaur, B. Lochab, V. Choudhary, I. K. Varma, Thermal behaviour of poly(allylazide), J. Therm. Anal. and Calorimetry,
2003, 71(2), 467-79.
- B. Lochab, I. K. Varma, Thermal behaviour of dendritic methacrylated polyesters, Mater. Res. Innov.,
2002, 6(4), 167-73.
- Burn P. L., Lochab B., Charge separation polymers for photovoltaic cells. PCT Int. Appl. (2007), 29pp. WO 2007012844 A2 20070201 CAN 146:209729 AN 2007:118131
- Varma I. K., Choudhary V., Gaur B., Lochab B. and Oberoi S., Development of Energetic Binders (Azido polymers) using Novel Dipolarophiles, Ind. Pat. Appl. 1316/Del/2002/dated 13-05-02.
- Varma I. K., Choudhary V., Gaur B., Lochab B. and Oberoi S., A process for the production of energetic binder (Azido Polymer), Indian patent application 1316/Del/2002/dated31-12-02.
National & International Recognition:
Invited for Chairing session in American Chemical Society ACS, Green Benzoxazine monomers and polymers, 2013.
Member of American Chemical Society, ACS 2013-14
International Travel Grant from DST, 2012.
Invited Speaker, Institute of Engineers India, Safety Convention 2012 (Best Speaker Appreciation)
Certificate of Appreciation in organizing the Star College Workshop, University of Delhi), Dec 2011.
Workshop on Green Chemistry, Daulat Ram College, University of Delhi, Jan 2012.
Best Poster award, University of Delhi (NWREE), 2010
Young Scientist Award, Department of Science & Technology (DST), 2009
Editorial and Academic Board Member, NanoTrends Journal, since Aug 2009
C. R. Barber Trust Fund, UK, 2005.
Member of Institute of Physics (IoP), UK, 2005-2006.
Member of Polymer Physics group, UK, 2005-2006.
Felix Scholarship, UK, 2002-2005.Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (UGC-NET–JRF), 1999
Scholarship holder during M. Sc. (1997-1999)
Certificate of Merit for standing 1st in B. Sc. (Hons.) Chemistry, 1997
Radha Sai Ram Memorial prize, Best Student in Chemistry, B. Sc. (Hons.) Chemistry, 1995
President of Chemical Society, 1994-1997
- Biobased Polybenzoxazine Resins Synthesized from Agricultural Biomass for Composite Applications, DST, EMRF, SB/S5/GC-05/2014, 18L, ongoing
- Halogen free Flame retardant (FR) Polybenzoxazine (PBz) resins based on Agricultural biomass, DST, FSER, No. SB/FTP/ETA-0069/2014 , 28.64L, ongoing
- Benzoxazine monomers and pre-polymers as Self-Healing Agents for Epoxy resins, DRDO, CFEES/TCP/EnSG/CARS/18/2014, 9.9L, ongoing
- Synthesis of poly-benzoxazines derivatives for application as binders in friction materials for brake-pads, DST, SR/FTP/ETA-44/2008, 23L, Completed with excellent grade
Our group is currently working on
- Synthesis of benzoxazines sourced from agricultural wastes and their applications
- Polymers for PV applications
- Graphene-oxide and their derivatives for
- Device applications (energy storage devices)
- Drug delivery applications