Shiv Nadar University was established in 2011 by the Shiv Nadar Foundation through
an Act of the State of Uttar Pradesh.
A comprehensive, multidisciplinary, research-focused, and student-centric university aimed at becoming a leading international institution of higher learning by:
- Developing and educating the path-shapers of tomorrow, who can shoulder the challenges of globally responsible, and ethical leadership in the 21st Century
- Supporting research, scholarly, and creative endeavors that contribute to the creation of new knowledge at the frontiers of specialized areas as well as at the interface of diverse disciplines
- Evolving research and teaching programs that tackle the most pressing problems of the State of Uttar Pradesh, India, and the global community.
Vision and Purpose
To empower individuals and communities to realize and exercise universal freedom through acquisition and application of knowledge by:
- Dedicating to the development, organization, preservation, dissemination, and application of knowledge in a wide range of fields of study
- Committing to excellence in teaching, discovery & innovation, scholarship, and service to expand the scope of human understanding, and contributing to the betterment of the world
- Pledging to serve the higher education needs of State of Uttar Pradesh, India, and the global community.
Values and Principles
- Research, scholarship, and creative activity as fundamental sources of new knowledge, contributions to the betterment of society and expressions of the human spirit
- Pursuit of academic excellence with integrity in an environment of collaboration, collegiality, and civility
- Freedom of inquiry and creation of an intellectual environment conducive to free, open, and respectful exchange of ideas
- Recognition and respect for the diversity of people and ideas, a rational spirit of inclusiveness, a global perspective, and a sense of community as essential conditions for campus life
- Environmental consciousness, sustainability, and prudent management of natural resources as central tenets of the construction and operation of the university
- Commitment to social justice and public service as the foundation of individual, educational, social, and economic development
- Engaged teaching and learning based on dialogue, student involvement, and experiential learning
- Responsible stewardship and thoughtful reflection, collaboration, planning, and evaluation as essential for meeting the changing needs of India and the global community
- Cultivation of character and the modeling of honesty, integrity, compassion, fairness, respect, and ethical behavior, both in the classroom and beyond.